Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Why Don't You Lay Down on the Couch

Okay, so it's been a while since I last blogged over hear on Dallas Daddy. I would say, "I'm sorry" to my readers, that is if I had any. I have to admit, it's been a struggle to continue to blog knowing there is nobody reading these rants. But since the blog was supposed to be therapy for me so I could get through the task of being a stay at home Dad, it must say that I'm adjusting to my new role since I haven't blogged in a while.

Let me first get "all my readers" updated on what's been going on. First in the life of my kids.

Well, they're doing great. Today is their last day of school before Christmas break. My son is doing well and continues to shine academically. He's learning Latin and just finished making a castle for his history project. He constantly amazes me. He is able to read and study things one time and he's got it. His capacity for recall with understanding is truly unbelievable. He memorizes his bible scripture within 5 minutes. He gets concepts immediately, meanwhile, I have to reread it several times just to teach it to him. I hope this ability stays with him as it will serve him well as he goes through the higher levels of school.

My daughter is also doing well in school. She brought home 4 tests Monday that she had received all 100%'s on. I was concerned that she might not have the chops to keep up with her brother, but she has surprised me. You can tell it doesn't come as "naturally" to her, but she continues to do well. But what she is really good at, is singing. She is constantly singing around the house. She adds her own lyrics to everyday tunes. I catch her in her room, singing songs with her door closed. The cool thing is, she's really good. I'm not sure where she gets it as I can't even carry a tune in my suitcase. My wife sings well, but our daughter takes it to a whole new level.

She is scheduled to sing the solo for "Happy Birthday Jesus" in church this coming Sunday. She tells us that she's a little nervous, but I think I'm more nervous than she is. As a parent, you just hope she doesn't freeze up and start crying during the song. But then there's a part of you that thinks she'll hit it out of the ballpark. Then maybe American Idol comes a calling and 3 gold records later, you've got that mansion on the hill - all courtesy of God's gift to your child. Seriously though, this church solo gives us an opportunity to talk to her about how we use the gifts God gives us to glorify him. So when she's singing, she's really singing to the Lord. I think that helps take some of the nervousness away. At least, for me it does.

Time for my observation about parenting. My kids are now at that age where they ask tons of questions. I used to be driven crazy by the constant, "Daddy, Daddy". Now it's, "Daddy, why...?" or "Daddy, what...?". And then when you answer that question, there's another follow-up question or two or three. They are so inquisitive and feed on each other's curiosity.

As an adult, I find that my curiosity is a bad thing, but when you're a kid, that's how you learn. I think, that's part of the innocence of being a child. You are naturally curious and your brain just feeds on information. But when you're an adult, your curiosity feeds a distraction or an illusion/fantasy. I know a lot of adults who turn to the internet to satisfy their curiosities. I think that's the biggest difference in our culture from our parents'. They might be curious about something, but have no avenue to explore it. Whereas, we get the answer in a millisecond on Google.

Not to have good ole' day syndrome, AGAIN, but...that's what I liked about my parent's generation. Sure they gave us green leisure suits and horrible mustaches', but I hate this curiosity marketplace we find ourselves in today. Everything has such a sense of immediacy and gratification. I just can't stand it.

Okay, another rant done by Dallas Daddy. I have a busy next couple of weeks with Christmas shopping, website publishing, retirement planning and surgery. Quite a combination, huh? Normally, I'd be looking forward to the first 3 more then the surgery, but I'm hoping the surgery will fix a chronic physical ailment I've had for about 6 years. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

But don't expect another blog between now and then, not that anyone is reading this boring diatribe to begin with.

No comments: