Wednesday, April 28, 2010

What a Mixed Bag!

A lot has happened since my last blog. I'll try to catch everyone up over the next several entries. But to offer a quick recap, here we go.

In an effort to save money, I ended up getting a virus on my computer. So in the end, I didn't really save any money because I had to buy a new computer. Funny how stuff like that works out. Lesson learned I guess. But we do have a little nicer computer now, so that's good right? It actually goes from one task to another in the blink of an eye, not the slow yawn our old computer would enjoy. It also has a chess game loaded in the operating system which my son will like. That might be our new distraction for the summer when it's 105 degrees outside with 98% humidity. Ahhh, nothing like summer in the lower midwest.

On a more serious note, we placed our ailing mom on hospice care. This doesn't necessarily mean anything other than someone else comes over to help with the bathing, etc. She keeps on plugging along though. Alzheimers is just awful. Not only does it rob your mind, but like many other ravishing diseases, it also robs your body, in the later stages anyway. She really can't walk or stand anymore. I mean she can, but not really. It's hard to explain. The only good thing about this whole experience is that she's not remembering any of it.

What else has been going on? Let's see, we were all sick. Now that's a shocker I know, because nobody else in the world ever gets sick, right? But we're on the downhill side of things now and we were able to show each other how much we care for them. Lot's of get better pictures were drawn and hugs of sympathy were enjoyed by all. You know, nothing quite says "I love you", like wiping someone's nose and watching Disney videos with them all day long. I'm sure it's very reassuring for the one who's sick. My youngest, who was the sickest,  felt so much better that she went back to school today, which she was very excited about.

I like that my kids still like to go to school! They enjoy leaning and playing with their friends and seeing their teachers. They have become regular social butterflies. They seem very popular in their classes and get along with just about everybody. That is a big deal for parents - to see their kids having friends and becoming well adjusted humans. I feel sorry for kids who don't have that in their lives. I think back to when we made the decision to put our youngest in school for kindergarten, my wife and I couldn't believe we were going to pay for Kindergarten. It would have been much cheaper to homeschool the first year and use that money for other stuff, like a new computer maybe : ). But I'm glad we made the decision we did.

Sometimes you just have to be willing to let go a little bit. Like Crush says in Finding Nemo, "let's see what little squirt will do flying solo" - can you tell my kids were sick this last week? Anyway, the friendships she now has and the confidence she's gained have been more than we could have imagined. I think when you let go a little, you show you're willing to trust God more? That probably brings a smile to His face.

Well, I think I'm done but I'll offer this little teaser for next time. What does my son's little league baseball team have in common with The Bad News Bears? You won't even believe it.

No comments: