Sunday, August 22, 2010

Au Revoir'

I never thought I'd say this, but thank goodness school is about to start. Of all the things I ever liked about summer vacation growing up, I find myself hating today. Let me compare and contrast for a moment.

During the summer, when I was a kid I liked...
1) being outside
2) not having responsibility or structure
3) watching TV
4) doing things my way, during part of the day anyway

During the summer as an adult, I hate...
1) being outside - too dadgum hot (101 degrees as I write this at 8:45 pm)
2) not having responsibility or structure
3) watching TV, nothing good on
4) not being able to do things my way, during part of the day anyway

That pretty much sums up my summer experience. I really felt like I was flying very much solo this summer. Even though we had a vacation and my wife seemed to be home a lot, it just felt very much like it was "me and the kids". I think I know a little more how single parents feel. You really don't get a break from the kids. Now granted, some people are cut out for that racket, but I'm not some people. I still like my time.

To make things worse, we've been experiencing several days of 100 degree temperatures. What does this mean? It means you can't go outside. So now imagine an entire summer of being couped up with energetic, easily bored children in a little house for several weeks. Think sardines!

I can honestly say that I hate summers in Texas. Now the winter time is pretty good (January thru February), but the other 10 months are pretty tough. So, once again, thank goodness for school. The kids get out of the house 2 days a week, we'll have a sense of purpose on our home school days and that leaves Friday for fun and giggles.

The commencement of a new school year brings hopes and adventure, but most of all, it brings a degree of freedom - for the kids and for me. Vive la e'cole

No comments: