Monday, May 10, 2010

What Day is Today?

There is a certain disconnect that takes place between you and the rest of the world, when you stay at home full time. I have to be honest with you, sometimes I like that disconnect. It's nice to just throw your hands up in the air and say things like, "Oh, I didn't know that happened?" or "Volcano? What volcano?". Not knowing does make your stress level stay at a nice even keel.

When you work, you have a constant barage of information heading your way; whether it comes from the radio when you're driving to and from work, your co-workers, the lunchroom TV which is always tuned into CNN or MSN or maybe the information finds you because you are just in the habit of keeping your antennas up all the time. Regardless of the reason, I was never better informed about the going's-on in the world as when I worked at the hospital 9-5.

This realization hit way too close to home this last weekend. It wasn't until Saturday that I realized Mother's Day was on Sunday. I know, a mistake that easily could have cost me my life. Luckily though, I was listening to the radio in the car on Saturday when I made the discovery. That got me thinking about this subject and how I know several people who are proudly in my boat. They actually take joy in the fact of such obliviousness to the outside world. I'm not here to judge them, but rather to say, that isn't so much my cup of tea. I actually liked the overload of current events I received when I was employed. Again though, it's not something I really thought about until I didn't have it anymore. Like a lot of things, absence makes the heart grow fonder.

I spoke to my friend at the hospital the other day and told him how much I missed working. Not necessarily the politics of my previous job, but just the plain fact I was employed with projects to do and deadlines to meet. Now I guess I miss the news and events that take place everyday around us too.

So, I am ALL prepared now, I've looked at my calendar and know exactly when the next holiday takes place. Well, will you looky-here. My calendar says the next holiday is "Father's Day". I'll have to make sure my wife and kids are fully informed in plenty of time.

No comments: